Wild Chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum)- Buckeye is well known, but it is not in our forests, as wild trees. Originally from Iraq, northern India and northern Greece where the cultivation expanded throughout the world as an ornamental tree Alayna.
For medicinal purposes have been using leaves, flowers, bark of young twigs and seeds, but now used mainly fruit and seeds chestnut. Horse chestnut seed has the most active drug substances).
Horse Chestnut seeds contain: 30-60 % by the water starch , 2:5-7 % fatty oil , 42 % extractives of which 4.4% nitrogenous substances , 1.5% crude fiber , 1.4% ash , about 9 % sugar substances , 8-11 % protein, 8-26 % saponin , 8-28 % tiglin , acetic acid and glutenon , then tannin and gum -like substances , and flavonoglikozid , amino acids and other saponin consisting of terpene glycosides aescin , aescigenin and argirescin ( about 14 % ) and are also the most important medicinal components chestnuts , some of which are specially allocated aescin.
**Aescin as quality contains in seeds:
- Increases capillary resistance
- Against fracture increases their permeability,
- Has an important impact on the prevention of thrombus formation.
- It is an important component for the treatment of veins.
The most important role of the venous circulation, that returns blood from all parts of the body to the heart.
***Reduces the possibility of a blood clot forming and disease called thrombosis. These diseases are known in ancient ages. It has been on the rise in the influence inadequate nutrition and lifestyle habits and the pace of life:
- Long- standing on their feet,
- Continuous sitting,
- Too little exercise,
- Poor fitting shoes,
- Excessive exposure to the sun ,
How to prevent and treat:
First and easiest is changing the bad habits, for the prevention and treatment are very important precisely Buckeye whose extracts is used in a range of medical products for the treatment of veins.
- Chestnut is dried so that the seed is halved or split with knife on four parts. Dry in a dark, dry room, with a draft. The dried seeds are easily removed hard coating, after which the seeds are small, crushed or milled.
- One tablespoon of finely powdered seeds is mixed with one cup of lukewarm water, leave to stand for half a day, strain and drink.
- 100 grams of finely powdered seeds sink in ½ liter of strong brandy and holds two days. In this period, the more stirring, then strain and drink 20 drops 3 times a day.
- Small stalk chestnut with lukewarm water prepared as porridge, put it in a linen cloth and snuggled on the affected area.
Chestnut is also used for healing hemorrhoids and varicose veins that are associated occurrence of the disease.