There is no fruit that better quenches thirst on hot summer days than watermelon.
Although watermelon is said to be “fruit”, but it is actually vegetable – such as pumpkins and gourds. Watermelons can be oblong or round shape. They have thick and green bark which can be spotted or striped.
This fruit can be found in supermarkets year-round, but it is best to eat in the summer because then contains the most nutrients.
Watermelon is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium and magnesium, containing a lot of water.
Healing properties of watermelon
Watermelon is not only tasty, but also healthy fruit, contains active substances that reduce inflammatory conditions, as well as antioxidants that protect us from free radicals.
- Excellent diuretic- because it stimulates the kidneys.
- Increases the formation of urine, which favors the expulsion of toxins from the body.
- For people with low libido, watermelon is the perfect fruit. Specifically, watermelon contains citrulline phytochemical, that has the property of relaxation of the blood vessels which affects libido. In 120 grams of watermelon is as much as 150 milligrams of citrulline.
- Watermelon is a rich source of nutrients important for the heart health, such as vitamins A, C and B6.
- Contains potassium and magnesium – two minerals, that are known for helping to regulate blood pressure.
- Watermelon is an excellent source of Vitamin B1 – Vitamin involved in energy production.
- Watermelon seeds are not harmful – just the opposite. Rich source of magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and other minerals. In Asian medicine, watermelon seeds are used for cleansing the kidneys and other medical purposes.
If you want to take advantage of the season and pushing watermelon cleanse your body, make a one-day cleansing watermelon.
- Morning and evening, drink a glass of yogurt and the rest of the day eating only watermelon.
- It is not certain how many watermelons not eat – it all depends on you. If you like, during the day you can eat up to 5 pounds of watermelon.
- Regardless of the fact that watermelon contains 92% of water during cleaning still need to drink water.
- The next day, start fruit, a few hours after you eat cooked vegetables or a light soup.
Tea made from watermelon seeds
Edgar Cayce (American psychic) specifically recommended tea watermelon seeds to people who have kidney stones. This tea also stimulates the kidneys.
To prepare the tea, you need a tablespoon of seeds of watermelon, which previously need to grind or chop.
Pour the seeds with a pint of boiling water and let the tea cool. Then strain and drink tea immediately. If possible, always prepare fresh tea.
Drink the tea three times a week, and you can drink it several times a day.
Like all fruits, watermelon helps people lose weight and maintain the desired weight. Watermelon contains few calories – only 30 calories per 100 grams. Due to the high water content reduces appetite and has a refreshing effect.But watermelon has a high glycemic index. If you suffer from diabetes, eat watermelon with other fruits, low glycemic index.
Did You Know?
- Senate of Oklahoma on 17 April 2007th declared watermelon the official state fruit, with some doubt as to whether watermelon fruit at all.
- In China watermelon seeds are roasted and served as snacks.
- Every part of a watermelon is edible, even his bark.
- Despite the generally accepted opinion, you do not have to hold watermelon in the refrigerator to preserve its taste, color or aroma.
However, if you already cut the watermelon, it is best to put it in the fridge and eat it as soon as possible.
Nutritional value per 100 grams of watermelon
|Energy value [kcal]: 30||Vitamin C [mg]: 8.1|
|Carbohydrates [g]: 7:55||Vitamin E [mg]: 12:05|
|Protein [g]: 0.61||Vitamin K [mcg]: 0.1|
|Total Fat [g]: 00:15||Sodium [mg]: 1|
|Dietary fiber [g]: 0.4||Calcium [mg]: 7|
|Water [g]: 91.45||Copper [mg]: 0042|
|Beta Carotene [mcg]: 303||Zinc [mg]: 0.1|
|Vitamin A [mcg]: 170.7||Phosphorus [mg]: 11|
|Vitamin B1 [mg]: 0033||Potassium [mg]: 112|
|Vitamin B12 [mcg]: 0||Magnesium [Mg]: 10|
|Vitamin B2 [mg]: 0021||Manganese [mg]: 0038|
|Vitamin B3 [mg]: 0178||Selenium [mcg]: 0.4|
|Vitamin B5 [mg]: 0.221||Iron [mg]: 12:24|
|Vitamin B6 [mg]: 0045||Folic acid [mcg]: 3|