Frankincense is an aromatic resin obtained from the Boswellia tree that grows throughout Asia and Africa.
Most of us are familiar from the religious ceremony incense that is done so that the piece of white aromatic resin placed on the coals. Incense is one of the oldest fragrances.
It has traded over 5,000 years ago in the Arabian Peninsula and North Africa, where it was worth like gold. Put incense that leads from south Arabia to the Mediterranean is one of the oldest trade routes in the world.
Because of its properties in Egypt was used for embalming mummies.
Incense has always been used in the rituals of Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches that are believed to drive away evil spirits.Incense has its application not only in aromatherapy, cosmetics, massage and religious ceremonies, but also in the treatment.
Therapeutic properties of frankincense
- In Ayurvedic medicine Indian frankincense (Boswellia serrata) is used for thousands of years to treat arthritis, healing wounds, strengthening the female hormonal system and protection from pathogenic microorganisms. According to Ayurveda, daily incense in the house brings good health to all members of the household.
- Incense is used from ancient times in the Middle East to maintain oral health. Its people have a habit of chewing resin incense, which improves the health of your teeth and gums – because of its antimicrobial properties incense prevents infection.
- In the West, incense is most known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Active medicinal ingredients of incense are sesquiterpenes hydrocarbons, monoterpenes, diterpenes and bosvela acid. Bosvela acids are the most important ingredient in incense. Have strong anti-inflammatory properties and effectively relieves pain caused by arthritis, but unlike conventional drugs do not cause side effects.
- Incense improves circulation and blood flow through the vessels damaged by inflammation, which further helps the joints affected by arthritis. Its powerful anti-inflammatory properties and helps with Crohn’s disease and cysts.
- Some studies have shown that incense may help in the treatment of several types of cancer – malignant melanoma, bladder cancer and brain tumors.It was confirmed that the extract of incense, incense acetate, reduces neurological damage, eases depression and tension, prevent diseases of the blood vessels and reduces bad cholesterol.
- In aromatherapy incense is used for the relief of stress, tension, hysteria and depression.
- Massage and bath oils from frankincense greatly help with menstrual pain and inflammation of the bladder. Therapy frankincense oil has a beneficial effect on the respiratory system and eases bronchitis, asthma, sinusitis, colds and allergies.
- Pour on hand a couple drops of oil and inhaled them several times a day or inhale incense tincture (1 teaspoon per quart of hot water).
It is believed that incense can stop snoring – for this purpose it is necessary to grease the oil incense neck, chest and the area around the nose.
This plant is excellent for skin care – helps with acne scars, stretch marks, wrinkles and wounds. Through the millennia using incense not observed any significant side effects. Recent toxicological studies have confirmed that extracts incense safe for outdoor as well as for internal use.
- Do not use incense if you drink a blood thinner, you suffer from high blood pressure, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Not to be used pure frankincense oil, it must be diluted in a carrier oil or water.
Preparations of incense:
- Incense and its products are now imported from India. For the treatment of used resin incense that is collected throughout the year. Resin prepared tinctures, oils, creams and supplements based incense.
- Edible frankincense must be transparent without black or brown dots. It is usually slightly yellowish with a hint of a greenish color, and chewed like chewing.
- Tincture bosvelia you can make yourself so that the resin incense pouring 80 per cent alcohol.
- For incense used resin or incense sticks of incense.
Frankincense was once given as a gift to baby Jesus.
It is a gift that we should not reject.
The ancient tradition of using incense itself speaks in his favor.